The Australian Surrogacy Podcast Episode 99: Reflections on surrogacy with Sarah Jefford. I was lucky enough to sit down with Miranda Crowther-Jones, writer, and mother through egg donation and surrogacy, and talk about the last 3 years and my book, More Than Just a Baby. You might remember Miranda from her own episode on the Podcast, and also from her guest blog post she wrote about parenting with a chronic illness.
If you’re interested, you can listen to my very first Podcast Episode, which I recorded shortly after giving birth almost three years ago.
We are celebrating 100 episodes of the Podcast in the coming weeks! This episode reflects on the last 98 episodes, and on the perpetual journey of surrogacy.
Some of the things we discussed, included:
- How it feels to give away a baby, as a surrogate.
- Surrogacy birth, and the rollercoaster ride of the fourth trimester (you can also listen to my Podcast interview with Katrina Hale)
- What it takes to be a surrogate, and relationships with the surrogate’s partner
- The Surrogacy Sisterhood, and how important it is for a surrogate to have an empathic and understanding support network.
- My reflections one year after the birth of surrogacy-baby, which I wrote about and is a chapter in the book.
- Managing the fears of the surrogate that she might be abandoned, and the fears of the intended parents that she might keep the baby.
You can purchase the book, More Than Just a Baby: A Guide to Surrogacy for Intended Parents and Surrogates, the only guide to surrogacy in Australia, which is available in paperback and Kindle versions.
If you are new to surrogacy, you can find more information in the free Surrogacy Handbook, reading articles in the Blog, by listening to more episodes of the Surrogacy Podcast. You can also book in for a consult with me below.