The Australian Surrogacy Podcast Episode 94: Susan. Susan was a Brisbane surrogate, not once but twice, for two different couples. Susan’s partner, Loz, was on the Podcast in Episode 47. Susan and Loz have three adult children of their own and live in Brisbane. Susan decided to become a surrogate after having her own children, and met intended parents in Brisbane. We talked about her first journey, and how quickly she made the decision to carry a baby for people she had met online. Having learned some valuable lessons from her first journey, Susan was a surrogate again for another Brisbane couple and gave birth earlier this year to Arlo. The birth was just on the cusp of the COVID restrictions, and at the time of our conversation Susan was still dealing with some health challenges arising from Arlo’s birth. We also talked about the frustrating symptoms of pregnancy, including post-partum hair loss, which can feel more challenging when we don’t have a baby to show for it!
You can find out more information about some of the things we discussed, including:
- How to find a surrogate in Australia.
- The Surrogacy Sisterhood, which Susan recommends to new surrogates to make sure they access support from the sisterhood and listen to the advice of other surrogates.
- Susan’s intended mother was able to induce lactation, which is possible with a supportive doctor and medication. Other intended mothers have been successful doing this as well. You can read more about milk and feeding surrogacy baby.
- Surrogacy laws and what to expect from the legal requirements
- Surviving the fourth trimester and all it throws at you – including hair loss and postpartum health issues.
- If you’re considering becoming a surrogate, you can read more about it and book in for a free consult with me.
I have published a book, More Than Just a Baby: A Guide to Surrogacy for Intended Parents and Surrogates, the only guide to surrogacy in Australia.
Sarah is the only lawyer in Australia practising exclusively in surrogacy and donor conception, or ‘family creation’ law. Sarah has been a surrogacy lawyer for many surrogacy arrangements in Brisbane, the Gold Coast, Ipswich and North Lakes, Far North Queensland and across Queensland.
Sarah can assist with Parentage Order applications for Queensland surrogacy arrangements, and offers full service or do-it-yourself parentage order packages.
You can find more information in the free Surrogacy Handbook, reading articles in the Blog, by listening to more episodes of the Surrogacy Podcast. You can also book in for a consult with me below, and check out the legal services I provide.
Connect with me