The Australian Surrogacy Podcast Episode 68: Jessica. Jessica was a gestational surrogate for friends living nearby in regional Victoria, and delivered a baby in November. She’s right at the end of the fourth trimester, so it was great to check in with her and find out how the last few months have been for her, her family and her relationship with the baby and the intended parents.
We talked about so much in this episode, and Jessica’s reflections were so invaluable. I just know that surrogates and intended parents in the future will be listening to this episode and taking notes and nodding along with her advice. Here’s some things we talked about:
- the importance of having discussions as a team about what to expect from the process, and IVF treatment and specialist care;
- planning a surrogacy birth and the importance of having amazing supports, including continuity of care;
- what to expect in the fourth trimester;
- the importance of surrogacy counselling and having support from someone amazing like Katrina Hale;
- how you can plan for what happens after the surrogacy is over, to help you get back to a normal life.
We also talked about the Surrogacy Sisterhood, and how having the support of women who have been surrogates is so invaluable to get you through the unique experience of being a surrogate.