The Australian Surrogacy Podcast Episode 67: Lara. Lara was a gestational surrogate for her brother, and her sister-in-law Raya, who appeared in episode 63.
Lara gave birth only three weeks before this interview, so she was in the thick of birth recovery and the fourth trimester. We talked about what it feels like to give away a baby, even when you are giving it to family and know that you’ll be part of their lives forever.
We haven’t had many stories of sister surrogates, so it is really nice to hear from someone who chose to do so.
This is such a heartwarming and lovely episode, and Lara was generous to give me her time only three weeks post-partum. But, as you’ll hear, she’s doing really well and even surprised herself with how smoothly the post-birth period has been going for her.
Surrogates are often expected to be grieving after the birth, and sometimes we even expect to be grieving ourselves. But most often, we do not grieve at all for the baby – in fact we feel on top of the world when we see the baby with the intended parents.
Are you a sister surrogate team? I’d love to have you on the Podcast too! Get in touch with me!
You can find out more information about some of the things we discussed, including:
- Consider whether you meet the criteria to pursue surrogacy in Australia.
- How to find a surrogate in Australia.
- Surrogacy laws and what to expect from the legal requirements.
- Gay men and couples may be interested in what’s involved in egg donation and surrogacy.
- If you’re considering becoming a surrogate, you can read more about it and book in for a free consult with me.
- International surrogacy options for Australian intended parents.
Sarah has written a book, More Than Just a Baby: A Guide to Surrogacy for Intended Parents and Surrogates, which is the only guide to surrogacy in Australia.
You can find more information in the free Surrogacy Handbook, reading articles in the Blog, by listening to more episodes of the Surrogacy Podcast. You can also book in for a consult with me below, and check out the legal services I provide.
Connect with me