The Surrogacy Podcast Episode 7 (Part 2): Carla. Carla is an egg donor and then entered a traditional surrogacy arrangement with some of her egg recipients. Traditional surrogacy is not as common as gestational surrogacy, and many people think traditional surrogacy is not legal. Even some IVF clinics think it’s not legal, which for the most part is incorrect.
This is Part 2 of my interview with Carla. Carla talked about her journey as an egg donor in Part 1 of this Episode; in Part 2 she tells us how she leaped from egg donation into surrogacy.
Some things we talked about during this episode:
- Traditional surrogacy is where the surrogate carries a baby conceived with her own egg.
- Carla has donated eggs and been a surrogate for gay couples. You can read more about gay dads and surrogacy.
- I’ve talked about traditional surrogacy in Episode 48 with Katrina Hale, where we delve deep into the world of home insemination.
- Whether it’s harder to give up a baby through traditional surrogacy than it is through gestational surrogacy.
- Why it’s important to make sure you do the surrogacy counselling and legal process, even if you are conceiving at home.
If you are new to surrogacy, you can read about how to find a surrogate, or how to become a surrogate yourself. You can also download the free Surrogacy Handbook which explains the processes and options.
Sarah has published a book, More Than Just a Baby: A Guide to Surrogacy for Intended Parents and Surrogates, the only guide to surrogacy in Australia.
You can find more information in the free Surrogacy Handbook, reading articles in the Blog, by listening to more episodes of the Surrogacy Podcast. You can also book in for a consult with me below, and check out the legal services I provide.
Connect with me