The Australian Surrogacy Podcast Episode 85: Emma-Lee. Emma-Lee is an egg donor, and is also a genetic genealogist – she researches genetic histories as a hobby. This means she can find out all sorts of information about someone, based on them, or their genetic relatives, having uploaded their DNA to a consumer site, such as Ancestry.com.
If you are interested in finding out more about genetic genealogy, or ‘DNA detecting,’ you might be interested in the Podcast that Emma-Lee talks about, Cut Off Genes. You can also read about another DNA Detective, Rose Overberg, who is a donor-conceived person herself.
Emma-Lee is an egg donor for her friends Cara and Jayden. I interviewed Cara for the Podcast back in Episode 39.
Some things that Emma-Lee and I talked about which may be of interest include:
- Donor conception and how there’s no such thing as anonymous gamete donation with the increase in DNA consumer sites like Ancestry.com
- The importance of talking to donor-conceived children about their genetic heritage and providing information to them – rather than waiting until they find out themselves. This Podcast interview with VARTA’s Kate Bourne may be of interest.
- Egg and sperm donation in Australia and entering a donor agreement.
- You can also read about my reflections as an egg donor, now that there’s a child born from my donation.
- This episode with Gail, of Donor Conception and Beyond, who is raising a donor-conceived child.